What the papers say: Nottingham Forest v Brighton & Hove Albion

After scoring an early goal, Nottingham Forest conceded three goals to Brighton & Hove Albion before a consolation penalty. Here’s what the national newspapers had to say

The Guardian

Roberto De Zerbi admitted Brighton reacted “like we had won the Champions League” as his players and staff ran across the pitch to celebrate with away supporters after a first win in seven Premier League matches despite Lewis Dunk’s red card.

With two more players dropping down injured after Brighton went behind to Anthony Elanga’s early opener, few would have anticipated what followed. Evan Ferguson’s equaliser and João Pedro’s double enabled them to survive half an hour with 10 men to end Nottingham Forest’s long unbeaten home run.

In a frenzied final half-hour – including the 10 added minutes – Forest pulled a goal back through Morgan Gibbs-White’s penalty, survived a potential red card for Murillo themselves but had Ryan Yates’s late point-blank header brilliantly saved by Bart Verbruggen.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/25/nottingham-forest-brighton-premier-league-match-report

The Times

After the end of ten tense minutes of added on time at the City Ground Roberto de Zerbi sprinted out of his technical area towards the travelling supporters pumping his fist.

It was the actions of a relieved and jubilant manager who despite an ever increasing injury crisis and with their captain being sent off with 20 minutes to play managed to hold out for their first win in the league since September.

When João Pedro scored his second from the penalty spot it looked like finally it was going to be a straightforward league win for Brighton. But with the drama of the Premier League barely anything is straightforward.

Instead they were left hanging on as Bert Verbruggen saved late into stoppage time to deny Divock Origi a last gasp equaliser.

Read more: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/forest-vs-brighton-joao-pedro-double-clinches-win-for-de-zerbi-s9txqmdt0

The Telegraph

Roberto De Zerbi could see Brighton qualify for the knockout stage in Europe later this week but he celebrated this victory as if his team had lifted the Champions League.

Sprinting over to the Brighton supporters at the final whistle, and declining to shake the hand of Steve Cooper, De Zerbi’s frustrations over injuries and an indifferent start to the Premier League season exploded in a moment of spiky exuberance.

Away from their Europa League adventure, Brighton’s start to the domestic campaign has been slow and this was only their first win in seven matches, despite a squad ravaged by injuries.

It was an absorbing, utterly chaotic contest in which De Zerbi’s irritation with referees was tested again when captain Lewis Dunk was dismissed in the second half after he was booked and then sent off within 21 seconds.

Read more: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/11/25/nottingham-forest-vs-brighton-result-premier-league-dunk/

The Independent

Ten-man Brighton ended their six-game winless run in the Premier League by beating Nottingham Forest 3-2 in a drama-filled encounter at the City Ground.

Injuries and their Europa League exertions had caught up with the Seagulls as they last won against Bournemouth at the end of September, but they put that right in testing circumstances.

They fell behind to Anthony Elanga’s early opener but were in total control after Evan Ferguson’s fine goal and Joao Pedro’s double put them 3-1 up.

But the complexion of the game changed when VAR advised referee Anthony Taylor to give Forest a penalty, with Brighton skipper Lewis Dunk seeing red for his over-zealous protest.

Morgan Gibbs-White scored from the spot but Forest could not find a leveller and Brighton held on for a much-needed win, which keeps them on the shoulder of the top seven.

Read more: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-lewis-dunk-nottingham-forest-morgan-gibbswhite-steve-cooper-b2453468.html

The Mail

Lewis Dunk was given two yellow cards in quick succession for dissent during Brighton’s 3-2 win at Nottingham Forest.

The defender was given his marching orders by Anthony Taylor after persistently challenging a penalty decision awarded to Forest.

Brighton midfielder Jack Hinshelwood dragged Callum Hudson-Odoi to the ground and while Taylor initially waved shouts away, he gave the spot-kick after reviewing the foul at the monitor.

Dunk was irate and got in the face of Taylor before confronting fourth official Andy Davies after he was sent off – with the two yellows coming in the space of around 30 seconds.

The flare-up comes amid Mail Sport’s campaign titled ‘Stop Abusing Referees’, which seeks to shine a light on the aggressive behaviour officials face.

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12790735/Lewis-Dunk-sent-dissent-Brightons-3-2-win-Nottingham-Forest.html

The Sun

Lewis Dunk got the “dumbest red card ever” with two yellows in 12 seconds.

Fans named Brighton’s England defender “jackass of the day” as he was quickly booked twice for arguing over a harsh penalty decision.

Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White tucked home the spot-kick on 76 minutes but the Seagulls still held on for a 3-2 Prem win.

Victory, however, failed to save Brighton skipper Dunk from a savaging on social media.

One viewer posted: “Regardless of what you think about the penalty, absolutely moronic from Lewis dunk getting two yellows for arguing.”

Another wrote: “Lewis Dunk just got the dumbest red card you can ever see. Wtf was he thinking?”

And others even had to ask “Did he get booked twice in one minute?” as they watched in disbelief.

Brighton had been furious when referee Anthony Taylor reversed an on-field decision and awarded Forest a penalty.

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24855711/lewis-dunk-red-card-brighton-forest-fans/

Follow The Famous Club on:

Google News | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Flipboard | Reddit | WhatsApp